Frequently Asked Questions


HopeSource provides a wide variety of services including:

  • Food Banks
  • Home Weatherization
  • Emergency Housing
  • Rapid Re-Housing
  • Veteran Support Services
  • Energy Assistance
  • Transportation


Qualifications differ from program to program. Please see the services page to find out more about each program or contact one of our offices.

Registration is required for all services.

To register in Ellensburg, please contact our office (509-925-1448) and set up an appointment time.

To register in Cle Elum, please contact our office (509-674-2375) and set up an appointment time.

All households and individuals who want to register for HopeSource programs and services must provide all of the following documentation. Incomplete applications may be ineligible for services.

  • Photo ID for every member of the household over the age of 18 which shows current Kittitas County residential address.
  • Social Security Cards for every member of the household. (Over 18 years of age must be signed)
  • Proof of income for the previous month. (Paystubs, TANF, L&I, Social Security, Pension, Financial Aid, Child Support, and Bank Statements are all accepted)

Call or stop by either the Ellensburg or the Cle Elum HopeSource office to find out more about each service qualification requirements.

Food Banks

Food Bank Locations

The Food Banks have fresh, frozen and canned foods. The availability varies.

The Food Banks receive food from many sources including private donations, the USDA, 2nd Harvest, grocery store donations, and by purchasing food.

Since you can "shop" for your food a family can pick what foods will work for them. Normally there are no sugar, low salt, and other special food items available.

We base the amount on family size and provide at least three days worth of food. You should have enough for 3 breakfasts (which could include eggs, pancakes, cereals and fruit) 3 lunches (tuna or peanut butter sandwich, fresh vegetables or fruit, juice or soup) and 3 dinners (a casserole or stew, hamburgers, and fruits or vegetables).

Food Bank personnel have recipes available for many of the USDA commodities and low cost, easy recipes for many kinds of foods. They can also help with food safety questions and what kinds of foods are for special diets.

You don't have to take anything you don't want or can't use. You can visit up to twice a month. Many times people only need the meat, milk, fresh fruit, and vegetables at the end of the month when their SNAP (food stamps) have all been used.

Both the FISH and HopeSource Cle Elum food banks have donated bread and other items available without signing up for a full box.

Home Weatherization

Building rehabilitation is beyond the scope of the weatherization program. Incidental repairs necessary for the effective performance or preservation of weatherization materials can be made. Most repairs or improvements made to a home must be able to pay for themselves in energy savings.

Results can vary, but it is not unusual to see energy savings of 10-20% in a home that has been fully weatherized.

Very rarely are we able to replace a window or door. Replacing old single-pane windows with new double-pane windows saves energy, but the cost is high and the amount of energy saved is low. Window replacement is almost never cost-effective. If it seems drafty or uncomfortable around your windows and doors, there are measures that can be taken that are easy, effective, and cheap such as installing insulation kits, caulking around windows and adding weather stripping or door sweeps to doors. In order to provide the most energy savings for the dollar we must focus our efforts on measures like duct sealing, air sealing, and adding insulation. These measures can bring big improvements to your energy bills and to the comfort of your home.

It is possible, but not likely. If HopeSource deems the furnace dysfunctional or unsafe then there could potentially be an opportunity for replacement.

Project length varies depending on the home, the number of measures to install, and season. On average, from selection to final inspection, the entire process takes 2-6 months.

It is free if you are a home owner and income eligible! Landlords may need to pay part of the cost depending on the type of work being done in the home.

Rapid Re-Housing

The Rapid Re-Housing program works with individuals and families that are homeless. Staff works with clients to get them housed before addressing other barriers. This is known as the housing first philosophy. Case management starts with a housing stability plan. The housing stability plan is a client centered plan that is developed with the aid of a case manager and is updated and used during all case management meetings. Case managers refer clients to other resources in the community to address issues such as employment, nutrition, parenting and financial management.

Individuals and families who are homeless. Homeless means that the individual is living in a place not intended for human habitation, such as a car, the street, the woods, abandoned buildings, an RV without utility connection and doorways.

Birth certificate, social security card and identification card.

Senior Support and Advocacy Program (SSAP)

SSAP is a permanent housing program that provides rental assistance for seniors who are low income and stably housed or homeless.

Clients must be 65 years of age and low income.

Housing Authority Supportive Services (HASS)

The HASS program is a partnership between HopeSource, the Housing Authority of Kittitas County and Elmview. This program provides subsidized housing, case management and employment support services. The HASS program is a pilot program and is funded through Kittitas County’s document recording fees and is therefore subject to funding availability.

Clients are homeless families with children who are eligible for subsidized housing through the Housing Authority and who agree to participate in case management. If unemployed, clients must also agree to participate in employment support services through Elmview.

Emergency Shelter

Households that are homeless may be eligible for the shelter. Criminal history may make households ineligible. Housing priority goes to families with children first, followed by couples. Lowest priority for the emergency shelter goes to single individuals.

Due to the safety and privacy of the emergency shelter participants, the shelter location is not revealed until approval into the program. The shelter is within Ellensburg City Limits, and the other shelter is within Cle Elum city limits. Every household in the shelter has their own unit with no shared living area.

Shelter program participants are expected to meet with their assigned case manager at least two times per week as well as attend regular educational classes through HopeSource. Participants are required to maintain constant contact with their case manager and show consistent progress in finding and securing stable housing.

Proof of homelessness.

HopeSource does not keep a waiting list on the emergency shelter, and due to the size limitations the shelter is frequently full.

Domestic violence:
7th & Pearl, Ellensburg

Hospitality House
1450 S Wenatchee Ave

Salvation Army:
1501 N Miller St A, Wenatchee

Red Cross - Apple Valley Chapter:
12 Orondo Ave, Wenatchee

Union Gospel Mission
509-248-5410 1300 N 1st St, Yakima

YWCA Family Crisis Program:
15 N Naches Ave, Yakima

Yakima County Coalition for the Homeless:
107 S 6th St, Yakima

Homeless Veterans Transitional Housing:
301 S 6th St, Yakima

Yakima's Cold Weather Shelters Open November through mid-March Hours: Open 6:00 pm to 6:00 am daily - Early arrivals at 5:30 pm Men's Shelters: First Baptist Church 515 E Yakima Ave

Englewood Christian Church:
511 N 44th Ave, Yakima

Women and Children Shelter:
Vineyard Christian Fellowship
221 E Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Yakima

Ellensburg Cold Weather shelter:
Open November-February, various churches.

Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF)

The SSVF Program works with veterans that are homeless or facing homelessness. Services may include eviction prevention, move-in assistance, rental assistance, general housing stability items, assistance securing benefits (SSI & VA), and referrals to other entities providing services to veterans.

Client must be a veteran with a discharge status other than dishonorable. National Guard are eligible only if deployed for at least one day of active duty. Income eligibility is 50% of area income median.

Proof of income, identification, and military service (DD-214).

Crestview Terrace Housing First

The application process begins at Crestview Terrace, 2101 North Alder Street, 509-925-6616. Once a participant passes the initial screening they will be referred down to HopeSource by the apartment manager if participation in case management is required for entry into housing.

Any household that is currently homeless may apply for the Crestview Terrace Housing First program. Criminal history and/or bad rental history as determined by Crestview Terrace management may make households ineligible.

Participants in the Crestview Terrace Housing First program are expected to maintain consistent contact with their assigned case manager and demonstrate progress towards their long-term and short-term goals that will aid them in moving closer to self-sufficiency. Lack of participation and progress may jeopardize housing.

  • Photo ID and Social Security cards for everyone over 18
  • Proof of income, if any
  • Proof of homelessness

Rent Assistance

Move-In: Households may be eligible for Move-In assistance if they are homeless, have a lease already signed, have not received rent assistance in the past two years, and if their household income is more than their rent.

HopeSource can pay for half of one month's rent up to $400. Checks will be mailed directly to the landlord and can take up to two weeks to be mailed after approval.


  • Proof of homelessness
  • Signed lease
  • Proof of income
  • Denial letter from DSHS for emergency funds if receiving TANF

Energy Assistance

You will be asked to provide the following information. Failure to do so will potentially result in the cancelation of your appointment. Please read the list carefully and call the HopeSource office with any questions. It is better to clarify any problems (e.g. no SS card, questions about income, etc.) before the appointment.

  1. Photo ID for the every person in the household over the age of 18.
  2. Social Security Cards (legible copies are acceptable) for every person in the household. If someone does not have a physical Social Security card, we accept any official document that states the person's name and their Social Security number (e.g. W-2 statement, paystub, Social Security statement, copy of your taxes, etc.) If the person has never been issued a social security number they must provide a birth certificate.
  3. All income documentation for every person in the household over the age of 18 for the previous three months from the time of your appointment (e.g. if the appointment is in January, then you will need income documentation for October, November, and December). If someone in the household over the age of 18 has not earned income for any period of time during the previous three months they will be required to sign a "Declaration of No Income" form. Sample income sources and types of documentation required are listed below:
    • Employment: Pay stubs, employer income verification computer printout.
    • Unemployment: Pay stubs or computer printout from the unemployment office.
    • Self-Employment: Monthly profit/loss statements, bookkeeping records, receipts, or IRS records.
    • L&I: Payment stubs or printout from L&I.
    • TANF/GAU: Award letters or printout from DSHS.
    • SSI/SSA: Award letters(s), copy of checks, or bank statements if direct deposit.
    • Pension: Award letter(s), copy of checks of VA statement.
    • Financial Aid: Award letter.
    • Child Support/Alimony: Copy of checks, divorce decree, print out for support enforcement.
    • Rental Income: Receipts of statements from tenant.
    • Zero Income: Declaration of No Income. You may obtain a "Declaration of No Income" form from a HopeSource staff member.
  4. Last/Most Recent utility bill or receipt (must include name and account information).
  5. Electric/Gas Heat Cost Documentation: Twelve month printout of usage from utility company.
  6. Other Heat Source Documentation, e.g. oil, propane, pellets, etc. (if applicable): Your last monthly bill or receipt that lists your account information.
  7. 24 Hour/Final Shut-Off Notice (if applicable).
  8. Verification of Current Physical Address: Utility bill in applicant's name, driver's license, rent receipt, etc.

HopeSource receives a large number of energy assistance requests every year. Due to the high volume of requests, especially in October-January, it may be anywhere from a couple of days to over 2-3 months before we are able to schedule you for an appointment. If you have not received an appointment card in the mail within 2-3 months of your request for energy assistance you may call our office at 509-925-1448 to make sure we have received your information and that we have your correct name and address. Please do not submit your information more than once.

The goal of HopeSource's energy assistance program is to assist households with their heating costs. Thus assistance is given for a variety of heat sources including natural gas, electric, oil, propane, wood, pellets, and durologs. Awards vary between $25 and $1,000 based upon income, the number of people living in the household, and annual energy costs.

We will not reschedule you until you contact us and asked to be rescheduled. In most cases your name will be placed at the bottom of the list and you will be required to wait 1-2 months to receive another appointment. For this reason it is essential that you make every possible effort to make it to your energy assistance appointment on time with all of the proper documentation. If you miss 2 or more appointments you may possibly forfeit your opportunity to receive energy assistance from HopeSource. If you know beforehand that you will not make an appointment, please call us and let us know. This will improve your chances of not being put at the end of the list.

Please contact us and let us know your situation even if you have already submitted your information to receive an energy assistance appointment. We reserve a set number of appointments each week for people in crisis situations. Please note that you will be required to bring proof of your 24 hour/final shut-off notice to your appointment.

In most cases you should be able to call your utility provider and tell them that you have an appointment with HopeSource and they will not disconnect your power. We do not, however, have the authority to stop a utility company from shutting off your power.

Yes, possibly. It depends on your utility provider and available funding. Every Energy Assistance applicant who is approved could receive an award from the federal Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). In addition, all Puget Sound Energy customers could be considered for a second award from the PSE HELP program. Kittitas Public Utility District customers could qualify for a second award from the PUD's Helping Hands fund if they are over the age of 60.

On average it takes 4-8 weeks from that date you receive your energy award to the date it actually appears on your utility bill as a credit. Once you receive your award letter you should bring it directly to your utility provider. They will make a note on your account, but in most cases you will still continue to receive late notices until the utility company receives payment from HopeSource.


Call HopeSource transportation at 509-933-2287 in Ellensburg, or toll-free at 509-674-2251 in Cle Elum. Dispatch hours are 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.

HopeSource Transit has a priority to passengers over the age of 60 and to those with disabilities. However, anyone may book a ride with us. Central Transit is open to the general public.

HopeSource Transit has a 30 minute pickup window. That means the bus can arrive at your pick up location anywhere from 15 minutes before your requested pick up time to 15 minutes after your requested pick up time.

Yes. All our busses are equipped with wheelchair lifts that will accommodate a chair 32 inches wide. We also have a minivan with a ramp that will accommodate a chair 30 inches wide.

The priority system for HopeSource Transit is medical services, social services, senior nutrition, and employment. However, Central Transit makes regular stops at Fred Meyer, Super 1, and Safeway as well as many residential and campus areas. Follow this link for a route map.

HopeSource Transit has a suggested donation of $1 within Ellensburg and within Cle Elum. Between Ellensburg and Cle Elum, the suggested donation is $2. Central Transit is free, with donations accepted.